Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

We start drinkin' those whiskey and gingers


Have you ever wondered why people leave their office lights on all night long? Or why people driving cars don't yield to pedestrians? Or, what's really in that "HOT DOG HOT DOG STREET MEAT STREET MEAT!!!!" Or why that damn cocktail just cost you $10 plus tip? Well, this isn't the place to get those answers. But, these are questions that have crossed my mind while walking down the sidewalk along Martin St.

I was just thinking back on the last couple outings I've been on downtown. The bar scene. It's cozy. Let's talk about Weesefest! Did you go?
Well, if you didn't go to Weesefest, you missed out on some great bands and some great people.
First off, Mr. Benton Weese, himself. You'll never meet anyone like Benton. He's an all around great guy and knows how to celebrate his birthday. July 2-4, 2010 was Weesefest 31 at the Pour House Music Hall, located at 224 S. Blount St. As far as the music went, after a couple beers, things are fuzzy and the exact lineup is a bit hazy, but I remember watching Skullbuckle and The Trousers for a bit. Left Outlet seemed to be a fixture on the stage each night. I can never find the right words to use to describe Left Outlet. The Indy describes them as "swirling psych-proggers," which is what I might agree a bit on about a year and a half ago. Seriously, Indy music writers, I think it's time you do your homework and go to a couple local rock shows, maybe you should have attended Weesefest and did a recap. I definitely feel the emotion in their songs. They've become a tighter bunch and are growing into their potential. The Bright Young Things are growing on me. I caught them a few weeks ago at another venue. I dig them. A Rooster for the Masses closed out the night. It was good to see them on stage again with new material. There were a couple songs I'd heard before, I was hoping to hear some of my favorites like Postal or Chinese Guitars, but no can do. I am anticipating the release of a new album from them. I wonder when that's going to be? All in all, it was a great show. I was ready for night 2 of drinking and music. Unfortunately, I was late. I arrived while Richard Bacchus and the Luckiest Girls were on stage. This band sounded awesome. I think the T's were next, things get fuzzy yet again, I think I was watching the magic from Magic Mike Casey out front, and then Left Outlet, again. I was glad they didn't play the same set from the night before. Something tells me never to expect that from Left Outlet. Closing out the night was Red Collar. Red Collar never ceases to amaze me with their energy. It was a late show, going right to 2am. It was time to call it a night. Night 3 started off with Ghost of Saturday Nite, Grey Young, Hammer No More the Fingers and Left Outlet closing out Weesefest. It was a tiring night. A great weekend. I hope Benton enjoyed himself.

Oh, and if you are wondering about the title of this blog, it's a line from Katherine Belle by American Aquarium, another local favorite. Catch them live at Malarkey-gras at the Pour House Music Hall, August 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment